Thursday, May 2, 2024

6th Easter Sunday

 "I no longer call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing, but I have called you friends, for I have made known to you all that I have heard from my Father. "

Lectio

John 15:9-17

- friend

1. 'a person in close, cordial relations with someone'.

2. "a person showing affection to someone or something, favouring something".

- servant "one who takes care of someone's house, farm and is paid for it"

- servant

1. 'to act in the interest of something or for the benefit of someone'

2. 'to be used'

3. "to be useful to someone in something"

4. formerly "to work in someone's house, doing cleaning, helping with household chores, etc., receiving remuneration for doing so"

Meditatio

- Christ makes the servant-friend distinction. He emphasises that the relationship he wants to build with his disciples is one of friendship. It is, on the one hand, a form of ennoblement, but on the other, an expression of the desire for closeness.

-Friendship is a relationship of love and trust. There is room for openness and the exchange of opinions and thoughts.

- What is my relationship with Jesus like? Am I closer to calling myself a friend or a servant?

Oratio

Lord Jesus. You called me friend long before I was born. You want to call me friend today too. I want to live my life basing it on love for you. On trusting in you. Bless these intentions of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Woman of the Eucharist

 "Fiat" and "Amen When we look through the Gospels to find the moments that tell us about Mary, we may be surprised to find t...