Saturday, March 9, 2024

For the good start

I heard about the so-called Desert Fathers when I was still in seminary. Actually, I didn't hear about them literally, because I bought a book in which the author had selected 365 apophatic verses and assigned them to certain days of the year.

In the course of time, I discovered the 'Book of the Ancients', which is published in alphabetical order and, over time, also in thematic order.

I refer to both quite often, and each time I am delighted by the simplicity and common sense that characterise these wise parables and, no doubt, their authors.

What is important to me is that the source of this way of life, which I myself read as wisdom, is the experience of a radical living of the evangelical counsels, a profound meditation on the Word of God and obedience to God. 

***

I once called monks "treasures of the desert". But it is a treasure of a kind that you cannot keep to yourself. That is why this blog was created. So that I can share this treasure with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Woman of the Eucharist

 "Fiat" and "Amen When we look through the Gospels to find the moments that tell us about Mary, we may be surprised to find t...